YEAR DESCRIPTION ST# 1908 Photo of Minnehaha Falls. F.L. Wright Photo, St. Paul. Copyright 1908.
- Original brown tone photo printed in 1908. Minnehaha Falls is in St. Paul, Minnesota. Photo is glued to a brownish toned cardboard. There are a couple things that I find very interesting.
- 1) In the book "FLW's Fifty Views of Japan. The 1905 Photo Album" published by Pomegranate Artbooks, there are 15 photographs of waterfalls that Wright shot in Japan pages 61-69. This has a very similar feeling to those that he photographed.
- 2) This has been trimmed to only 3" wide, almost as if the photographer is giving it a Japanese feel (very vertical).
- 3) On the Smithsonian Institute's web site it states that: "In 1908, Wright began drawings for a large summer home to be set into the rugged landscape. But building was delayed for six years due to Wright's departure for Europe in 1909." Most often Wright would visit the site before beginning to work on drawings. If this is the case than Wright would have visited the Little's in St Paul in 1908, and very likely taken a side trip to take some photographs. If anyone has additional information please contact me.
- 4) This was purchased from a person that lives in Mt Horeb, Wisc, which is close to Spring Green.
- AFTER FURTHER RESEARCH, THIS IS NOT FRANK LLOYD WRIGHT. THERE WAS A PHOTOGRAPHER WHO HAD A STUDIO IN ST. PAUL BY THE NAME OF FRANCIS L. WRIGHT (MALE) FROM 1907-1908. I ALSO HAVE A POSTCARD THAT USES THIS IMAGE. I WILL BE ADDING THE POSTCARD.