- Peter C. Stohr Arcade Building, Chicago, IL (1909) (S.162)
(Note, due to the fact that the internet is constantly changing, and items that
are posted change, I have copied excerpts of the text, but give all the credits available.)
Thursday Night Hikes: St. Albans/Lower Crocus Hill Architecture Notes, Part 2
Observations on Architectural Styles, Part 2
St. Albans/Lower Crocus Hill
Lawrence A. Martin
502 Grand Hill/Former 502 Grand Avenue: Built in 1894; Clarence H. Johnston, Sr., architect. The structure is a two story, 4409 square foot, eight bedroom, three bathroom, two half-bathroom, frame house, with a detached garage. Minnesota Historical Society records indicate that Peter C. Stohr resided at this address from 1899 to 1904. The 1900 and 1902 city directories indicate that Mr. and Mrs. P. C. Stohr resided at this address. The 1918 city directory indicates that Mr. and Mrs. P. N. Myers resided at this address. The 1930 city directory indicates that Wallace H. Cole and Franz Lange, an inspection manager employed by the Golden Rule department store, and his wife, Frieda Lange, resided at this address. The 1939 St. Paul Academy Alumni Directory indicates that F. Crunden Cole, who attended the school from 1933 until 1938, resided at this address. The 1950 St. Paul Academy Alumni Directory indicates that Wallace H. Cole, Jr. (1925- ,) who attended the school from 1935 until 1939, who attended Williams College, who graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1950, who served in the 218th F. A. Group in the Philippines during World War II, and pursued the hobbies of hydroplane racing and weekend flying, resided at this address. In 1891, P. C. Stohr was a general freight agent for the Chicago, St. Paul & Kansas City RailRoad and was located in Chicago, Illinois. In 1900, Peter C. Stohr developed the Stohr Arcade, a train station designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, on the Chicago Elevated. In 1905, P. C. Stohr was one of the prominent Portland, Oregon, residents who took the initial passenger train connecting Celilo, Oregon, and Big Eddy, Oregon, in the Cascades. Peter C. Stohr (1859-1912) was born in New York City. Peter C. Stohr was the assistant traffic director of the Harriman rail lines from 1905 to 1912, after beginning work as an office boy with the Rock Island RailRoad. Julia A. Collins (1862- ) was born in Toledo, Ohio, the daughter of Jasper P. Collins and Mary A. Collins, was a landscape artist, studied in New York and Paris, was the wife of Peter C. Stohr, whom she married in 1890, and resided in St. Paul, Chicago, Maplewood, New Jersey, and Lowell, Maine. The Chicago, St. Paul & Kansas City RailRoad Company was a corporation that was created and organized under the laws of the State of Iowa. In 1887, the Chicago, St. Paul & Kansas City RailRoad Company acquired all of the property of the Minnesota & Northwestern RailRoad Company. The Chicago, St. Paul & Kansas City RailRoad was completed to St. Joseph, Missouri, in 1889, and to Kansas City, Missouri, in 1890. In 1892, the railroad was reorganized under the name of Chicago Great Western RailRoad, and it was popularly called "The Maple Leaf Route." A. B. Stickney had an interest in the Minnesota & Northwestern RailRoad, the Chicago, St. Paul & Kansas City RailRoad, and the Chicago Great Western RailRoad. In 1968, the Chicago Great Western RailRoad merged with the Chicago Northwestern Railway. Wallace H. Cole (1888––1973) was an orthopedic surgeon. Wallace H. Cole was born in Fort Custer, Montana, was educated in St. Paul and at the University of Minnesota, was head of the department of surgery at the University of Minnesota, and was the chief surgeon at the Shriner's Hospital in St. Paul for 30 years. In 1925, Wallace H. Cole was the author of the article "Primary Tumors Of The Patella" published in The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Wallace H. Cole was elected vice-president of the American Orthopaedic Association in 1940. Wallace H. Cole, along with Dr. John F. Pohl and Dr. Miland Knapp, functioned as mediators for Sister Kenny in translating her opaque terminology about the treatment of crippled children into acceptable medical journal language. Cole succeeded Arthur Gillette, from 1897 to 1921, and Emile Geist, from 1921 to 1933, as the head of Orthopaedic Surgery at the University of Minnesota Medical School. Miland Austin Knapp D. D. S., a former instructor in orthodontia at the University of Minnesota Dental School and a former professor of orthodontia at the Northwestern University Dental School, authored Orthodontia Practically Treated, Minneapolis, Harrison & Smith Company, 1904. Peter C. Stohr (1859-1912,) the assistant traffic director of the Harriman rail lines, died in Chicago. Alpheus B. Stickney ( -1916) Paul Nixin Myers ( -1929) died in Ramsey County. Frieda M. Lange (1911-1988) was born in Minnesota, had a mother with a maiden name of Gerber, and died in Washington County, Minnesota. John Florian Pohl (1903-1982) was born in Minnesota, had a mother with a maiden name of Hartz, and died in Hennepin County. Miland Austin Knapp ( -1953) died in Cook County, Minnesota. The house was for sale in 2004 for $1,250,000. The current owners of record of the property are Lynda J. Burton and Thomas T. Feeney. Lyn Burton is associated with Unity Unitarian Church. Lynn Burton, a mortgage finance resource with Development Connection, was a contributor to the Democratic National Committee in 2004.