bd21318_.gif (286 bytes)
bd15072_.gif (423 bytes)
 
CITY NATIONAL BANK BUILDING (1909 - S.155)
PARK INN HOTEL, MASON CITY, IOWA (1909 - S.156)
 
Frank Lloyd Wright was commissioned by attorneys, James E.E. Markley and James E. Blythe to design a building for their bank. Markley made Wright's acquaintance while visiting his daughter during her stay at the Hillside Home School, in Spring Green, Wisconsin, run by Wright’s aunts, Jane and Ellen C. Lloyd Jones. During 1907 and 1908 Wright visited Markley in Mason City. Wright was commissioned to design both the City National Bank and Park Inn Hotel in early 1909 and construction began April 1, 1909. When Wright left his practice and went to Europe with Mrs. Edwin Cheney in late October 1909, his chief draughtsman, William Drummond, continued supervision of the construction   which was completed in August 1910.  The Hotel was opened under the management of John Sundell.  The second floor originally held the legal offices of Blythe and Markley to the east and about 14 guest rooms to the west; 24 guest rooms made up the third floor.  In 1926 the Bank building was purchased by A. A. Adams.  It was drastically remodeled and converted to a clothing store.  The Park Inn ceased operations as a hotel in 1972. In 1973, the upper floors were renovated into apartments. The Park Inn Hotel and City National Bank buildings were listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. (Condensed from Full article.)
 
 
  HISTORY OF THE PARK INN HOTEL AND CITY NATIONAL BANK    PARK INN HOTEL & CITY NATIONAL BANK BUILDING 
 
  BOOKS    MATCHES    POSTCARDS   HISTORIC IMAGES    LETTERHEAD 
 
BOOKS
 
Date: 1977

Title: Mason City, Iowa, An Architectural Heritage (Published by Mason City Department of Community Development)

Author: Forward by: Kenneth E. Kew, Mayor

Description: An inventory of historic and architecturally significant buildings in Mason City. Many Prairie style examples. Includes Wright’s City National Bank, adjoining Park Inn (Cover, Pg 23) and the Stockman House (Pg 53).  Cover is a reprint from the Wasmuth Portfolio Tafel IV (Plate 49), "Bank in Mason City, Iowa" (1910). 

Size: 8.5 x 11.

Pages: Pp 82

S#: 2023.03.0306

   
   
   
MATCHES
 
Date: Circa 1915-1920

Title: Park Inn Hotel (1909 - S.155)

Description: "Park Inn Hotel Coffee Shop, Mason City, Iowa, Phone 289. ‘Air Conditioned’, Park Inn, Lounge, Café. Mason City’s Finest. Close cover before striking. The Ohio Match Co., Wadsworth Ohio." The Ohio Match Co. was founded in 1895. It became the largest match producer in the world, producing 300 million wooden and paper matches a day. The Ohio facility covered 18 acres. In 1928 the company was purchased by Diamond Match Co. The first telephone service was installed in Mason City in 1878. An ad dated Oct 14, 1915 listed the First National Bank Building phone as 289. Other businesses also listed the same number. Early phone systems had an operator that would manually connect the call to the recipient via a switch board. Includes one photograph. Printed one side.

Size: 1.5 x 4.

S#: 0128.12.0712

   
   
   
POSTCARDS
 
Date: 1912

Title: Park Inn, Mason City, Iowa. 

Description: Published by R.T. #21869.  Part of the City National Bank Building complex built in 1909. Very early image, before any signage or lamp posts. 

Size: 5.3 x 3.3

S#: 1912.00.1204

   
Date: Circa 1912

Title: Park Inn Rates

Description: Rooms starting at 75c, Dinner 30c

   
Date: Circa 1912

Title: City National Bank

   
Date: Circa 1914

Title: Park Inn

   
Date: Circa 1915

Title: Park Inn, Mason City, Ia.

Description: Published by E.C. Kropp, Plate 6072.  Part of the City National Bank Building complex built in 1909. Very early image, signage installed, but before lamp posts were installed in the
street.

Size: 5.5 x 3.5

S#: 0128.08.0109

   
Date: Circa 1915

Title: North Main St., Mason City, Ia.

Description: City National Bank (on left)

 

 

Detail: North Main St., Mason City, Ia.
City National Bank (on left)

   
Date: Circa 1915

Title: South Main St., Mason City, Ia. City National Bank (on left),

   
Date: Circa 1915-1920s

Title: Park Inn

 

 

Park Inn Circa 1915-1920s Detail

   
Date: Circa 1950s

Title: Federal Ave (formerly Main)

Description: City Nat. Bank (on left, out of pic)

 

   
   
   
HISTORIC IMAGES
 
  Date: 1910

Title: Wasmuth Tafel IV (Plate 49), Bank and Park Inn Hotel in Mason City, Iowa,

   
  Date: 1910

Title: Wasmuth Tafel IV (Plate 49), Bank in Mason City, Iowa,

   
Date: Circa 1910

Title: City National Bank under construction

 

 

 

Detail of left image:
City National Bank under construction

   
Date: Circa 1912

Title: City National Bank (far right in left picture)

 

 

 

 

Detail City National Bank (far right)

   

Detail of left image: City National Bank

 

Detail of left image: Large vase atop pedestal

Date: Circa 1915

Title: City National Bank

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

   
Date:

Title: City National Bank Interior

 

   
Date: 1918

Title: City National Bank

 

   
Date: Circa 1930

Title: City National Bank after Remodel

 

   
Date: Circa 1940s

Title: Park Inn

 

   
Date: Circa 1950s

Title: City National Bank

 

   
Date: September 1977,

Title: Photographed by Robert Thall

 

   

September 1977 Details

   
Date: September 1977

Title: Photographed by Robert Thall

 

 

 

Detail on the right

   

September 1977 Details

 
   
   
LETTERHEAD
 
Date: Circa 1919

Title: Letterhead. The City Trust & Savings Bank, Mason City, Iowa. Circa 1919.

Description: W. V. Escher, President. Hugh M. Gilmore, Vice President. Ralph Lloyd Jones, Cashier. Printed over in a thick black line (J. F. Shaible, President. F. H. Cotton, Vice President). Frank Lloyd Wright was commissioned in 1909 by attorneys, James E. E. Markley and James E. Blythe to design a building for their bank. Records indicate that City Trust & Savings Bank was established in 1917, and that in 1919, W. V. Escher was President, H. M. Gilmore was V.P. James Blythe was a Director of the Bank. Of interest is the illustration. It shows the older original building to the left, that was there when the City National Bank Building was built. "City Trust and Savings Bank" can be seen above the entrance. But it does not show the Park Inn to the right. The "Journal of the American Bankers Association" July 1918 - June 1919, indicates that W. V. Escher was elected president City National Bank succeeding James E. Blythe, and J. A. Parden was appointed cashier succeeding J. F. Shaible. W. V. Escher was also elected president of the City Trust and Savings Bank succeeding J. F. Shaible. With the Farm Crisis in the early 1920s, banks failed all across the state of Iowa. City National Bank was among those forced into bankruptcy, resulting in the sale of the bank and its conversion into retail and office space. In 1926, the building was purchased by A. A. Adams, and renamed the Weir Building. Printed on a warm gray stock with the watermark "Commerce Bond". Two sheets.

Size: 10.9 x 8.4

S#: 0141.06.0413, 0141.07.0413

   
Date: Circa 1920

Title: Letterhead. The City National Bank & The City Trust & Savings Bank, Mason City, Iowa. Circa 1920.

Description: E. G.. Dunn, President. Hugh M. Gilmore and J. A. Parden, Vice President. R. P. Palmer, Cashier. C. E. Brooks, L. W. Sherman, and C. I. Snyder, Assistant Cashiers. Frank Lloyd Wright was commissioned in 1909 by attorneys, James E. E. Markley and James E. Blythe to design a building for their bank. Records indicate that City Trust & Savings Bank was established in 1917. Dunn was listed as President of City National Bank in 1920. "Trust Companies of the US" indicates the R. P. Palmer was President of City Trust & Savings in 1920, and Dunn, Palmer, Blythe and Parden as Directors. Of interest is the illustration. It shows the newer building to the left, that was built later than the City National Bank Building. It shows the Park Inn to the right. With the Farm Crisis in the early 1920s, banks failed all across the state of Iowa. City National Bank was among those forced into bankruptcy, resulting in the sale of the bank and its conversion into retail and office space. In 1926, the building was purchased by A. A. Adams, and renamed the Weir Building. Printed on a warm beige stock with the watermark "Cranes Japanese Linen". One sheet.

Size: 11 x 8.4

S#: 0142.09.0413

   
   

 

bd21318_.gif (286 bytes)
bd15072_.gif (423 bytes)
 

HOME    ARTIFACTS    AUDIO    BOOKS    PERIODICALS    PHOTOS   POSTCARDS   POSTERS     STAMPS    STUDIES   ASSISTING   COLLECTING

 
  SEARCH WEB SITE 
 
To donate or pass on information, comments or questions:
info@wrightlibrary.com
 
bd21318_.gif (286 bytes)
bd15072_.gif (423 bytes)
 
©Copyright 2001, 2013