ARCHITECTURAL STUDIES
ARIZONA BILTMORE
ARTS & CRAFTS
AUSGEFUHRTE BAUTEN
BIOGRAPHIES
BROADACRE CITY
CHAIRS
CHAPTERS ON & BY WRIGHT
CHICAGO
CHICAGO SCHOOL
CHILDREN'S
CHURCHS
CONVERSATIONS
COPPER URN
DANA-THOMAS HOUSE
DECORATIVE DESIGNS
DOMINO'S
DRAWINGS
ENNIS-BROWN
EVE OF ST. AGNES
EXHIBITIONS
FALLINGWATER
FLORIDA SOUTHERN COLLEGE
FLW FOUNDATION
FURNITURE
GA SERIES
GLASS
GUGGENHEIM
GUIDES
HERITAGE-HENREDON
HOME & STUDIO (OAK PARK)
HOMES & BLDS: GENERAL
HOMES & BLDS: SPECIFIC
HOTEL GENEVA
IANNELLI
IMPERIAL HOTEL
INTERIOR DESIGN
JAPAN
LANDSCAPE
LARKIN BUILDING
MADISON WISC
MAMAH BORTHWICK CHENEY
MARIN COUNTY
MIDWAY GARDENS
MILE HIGH
MODELS BY WRIGHT
NAKOMA
NEW THEATRE
OAK PARK HOMES
PETERS (WES)
PHOTOGRAPHERS
PICTORIAL ESSAYS
PRAIRIE SCHOOL
PRINTING PROCESS
PROJECTS
ROBIE HOUSE
ROLOSON ROWHOUSES
SCHUMACHER
SC JOHNSON
SEYMOUR, RALPH FLETCHER
SIXTY YEARS EXHIB 1951-56
STORRER
STUDIES
SULLIVAN, LOUIS
TALIESIN FELLOWSHIP
TALIESIN (SPRING GREEN)
TALIESIN WEST
UNITY TEMPLE
USONIA
USONIAN AUTOMATIC HOMES
WEED HOLDER
WENDINGEN
WRIGHT CHILDREN
WRIGHT,  FRANK LLOYD
WRIGHT &
WRIGHT FURNISHINGS
WRITINGS BY WRIGHT
 

NOW AVAILABLE CLICK TO ORDER

 
ROOKERY BUILDING ENTRYWAY AND LOBBY REMODELING (1905 - S.113)
 
Date: 1888

Title: Rookery Building Cast Iron Panel 1888 (1905 - S.113).

Description: Decorative cast iron panel. The Rookery Building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. It is considered the oldest standing high-rise building in Chicago. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. The geometric design in this panel was incorporated into the balusters in the interior stair tower and in the balcony in the main lobby. In the original lobby designed by Burnham and Root, this design only appeared in the balcony balusters. Wright removed most of Root’s original iron ornamentation in the lobby and entryway and simplified it with geometric designs. He also encased much of Root's elaborate wrought iron finishes with white carved and gilded Carrara marble. He also added large prairie styled urns and designed hanging light fixtures. Providence Architectural Artifacts, Inc., Chicago.

Size: 24.25" Wide x 33.5" High x .5" Deep.

S#:
0009.08.1118
   
   
   
Date: Circa 1893

Title: Rookery Building Lobby circa 1893.

Description: View of the Lobby looking toward the stairs. The Rookery building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. Photographed before Wright remodeled the lobby. Published by the S. L. Stein Publishing Co.

Size: 12 x 9.6

S#: 0013.03.0512

   
Date: Circa 1895

Title: Rookery Building Lobby circa 1895.

Description: View of the Lobby looking toward the Balcony. The Rookery building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. Photographed before Wright remodeled the lobby. Courtesy Chicago Historical Society.

Size: 10 x 8 B&W photograph.

S#: 0018.26.0512

   
Date: 1907

Publication: Inland Architect & News Record, Volume L (50), September 1907 (Published by The Inland Architect & News Record)

Author: Anonymous

Description: "Remodeled Entrance. The Rookery Building. Chicago. Frank Lloyd Wright, Architect for Remodel. Work Executed by the Davis Marble Co., Chicago." Photogravure only, no text, Hors-texte Plate, printed single side only. (Copy) Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, Ryerson & Burnham Archives. (Sweeney 75)

Size: 7 x 10.25 (Copy)

Pages: Pp 1

S#: 0075.00.0512

   
Date: Circa 1907

Title: Rookery Building Lobby, Circa 1907 (1905 - S.113).

Description: "Rotunda, Rookery Bldg, Chicago. No. 171. V. O. Hammon Pub. Co, Chicago and Minnnapolis. (m.s.)" The Rookery Building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, became manager of the Rookery Building and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright removed most of Root’s original iron ornamentation and simplified it with geometric designs. He also encased much of Root's elaborate wrought iron finishes with white carved and gilded Carrara marble. He simplified the ironwork design, added large prairie styled urns and designed hanging light fixtures. Verso: "V. O. Hammon Publishing Co, Chicago." Postmarked 1909. Hammon produced card No. 954, N. G. Moore Residence, which is postmarked June 28, 1907. Verso matches this design. This is card No. 171, circa 1907. Printed four-color process.

Size: 5.5 x 3.5

S#: 0080.14.0313

   
Date: 1963

Title: Rookery Building Entryway and Lobby Remodeling (1905 - S.113) 1963.

Description: View of the Lobby looking toward the stairs. The Rookery Building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. Wright removed most of Root’s original iron ornamentation and simplified it with geometric designs. He also encased much of Root's elaborate wrought iron finishes with white carved and gilded Carrara marble. He simplified the ironwork design, added large prairie styled urns and designed hanging light fixtures. Photographed in July 1963 by Cervin Robinson. Courtesy of the Library of Congress.

Size: Original 8 x 10 B&W photograph.

S#: 1565.37.0512

   
Date: 1963

Title: Rookery Building Entryway and Lobby Remodeling (1905 - S.113) 1963.

Description: View of the Lobby looking toward the stairs, from the balcony. The Rookery Building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. Wright removed most of Root’s original iron ornamentation and simplified it with geometric designs. He also encased much of Root's elaborate wrought iron finishes with white carved and gilded Carrara marble. He simplified the ironwork design, added large prairie styled urns and designed hanging light fixtures. Photographed in July 1963 by Cervin Robinson. Courtesy of the Library of Congress.

Size: Original 8 x 9.8 B&W photograph.

S#: 1565.38.0512

   
 
Carrara marble is carved and gilded. Courtesy of fontes_gabriel, 2008.
Rookery HABS Measured Drawings, detail of Sheet 8. Newel Post, Stairway and Urn.
 
Rookery HABS Measured Drawings, detail of Sheet 8. Newel Post detail.
Date: 1963 HABS

Title: Rookery Building, (HABS No. ILL-1030), 209 South La Salle Street, Chicago, Cook County, Illinois. (Published by Historic American Building Survey, Office of Archeology and Historic Preservation, National Park Service, Arlington, Virginia.)

Author: Osmund R. Overby

Description: Includes "Photographs, Written Historical and Descriptive Data" (13 sheets), Measured Drawings (8 sheets completed in August 1967, one of which relates to Wright’s remodel), and Photographs (two of the original Lobby and two of Wright’s remodeled Lobby). The Rookery building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. Wright removed most of Root’s original iron ornamentation and simplified it with geometric designs. He also encased much of Root's elaborate wrought iron finishes with white carved and gilded Carrara marble. He simplified the ironwork design, added large prairie styled urns and designed hanging light fixtures.

Size: 8.5 x 11.

Pages: Pp 13

S#: 2086.01.0512

   
Date: 1967

Title: Rookery Building Interior Stair Tower 1967 (1905 - S.113). 

Description: The Rookery building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. Photographed in the Summer, 1967 by Philip Turner. Courtesy of the Library of Congress.

Size: Original 8 x 10 B&W photograph.

S#:
1720.42.0219
   
Date: 1972

Title: Rookery Building Entryway and Lobby Remodeling (1905 - S.113) 1972.

Description: View of the Lobby looking toward the stairs, from the balcony. The Rookery building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. Wright removed most of Root’s original iron ornamentation and simplified it with geometric designs. He also encased much of Root's elaborate wrought iron finishes with white carved and gilded Carrara marble. He simplified the ironwork design, added large prairie styled urns and designed hanging light fixtures. Photographed in 1972 by Richard Nickel. Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, Ryerson & Burnham Archives.

Size: Original 8 x 10 B&W photograph.

S#: 1909.38.0512

   
Date: 1972

Title: Rookery Building Entryway and Lobby Remodeling (1905 - S.113) 1972.

Description: View of the Balcony. Photographed in 1972 by Richard Nickel. The Rookery building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. Wright removed most of Root’s original iron ornamentation and simplified it with geometric designs. He also encased much of Root's elaborate wrought iron finishes with white carved and gilded Carrara marble. He simplified the ironwork design, added large prairie styled urns and designed hanging light fixtures. Courtesy of The Art Institute of Chicago, Ryerson & Burnham Archives.

Size: Original 8 x 10 B&W photograph.

S#: 1909.39.0512

   
Date: 1972

Title: Rookery Building Entryway and Lobby Remodeling (1905 - S.113) 1972.

Description: View of the Balcony. The Rookery building was designed by Burnham nad Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, Francisco Terrace Apartments (1895 - S.030), Edward C. Waller Apartments (1895 - S.031), Edward C. Waller Residence Remodeling (1899 - S.047), Edward C. Waller Gates (1901 - S.065), Edward C. Waller Stables (1901 - S.066), Edward C. Waller Bathing Pavilion (1909 - S.166), managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. His son, Edward C. Waller Jr. hired Wright in 1913 to design the Midway Gardens (S.180). Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. William Winslow’s headquarters was there alone with the American Luxfer Prism Company. Wright removed most of Root’s original iron ornamentation and simplified it with geometric designs. He also encased much of Root's elaborate wrought iron finishes with white carved and gilded Carrara marble. He simplified the ironwork design, added large prairie styled urns and designed hanging light fixtures. Stamped on verso: "Chicago Sun-Times, May 14, 1972." Clipping pasted to verso: "The richly ornamented central lobby space of the Rookery Building at 209 S. LaSalle. The building was designed by architects Burnham & Root in 1886, and Frank Lloyd Wright remodeled the interior in 1905." Possibly photographed by Richard Nickel shortly before his death in April. Acquired from the archives of the Chicago Sun Times.

Size: Original 10.25 x 10 B&W photograph.

S#: 1909.37.0512

   
Date: 1972

Title: Rookery Building stairway.

Description: Rookery Building Entryway and Lobby Remodeling (1905 - S.113) 1972. The Rookery building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright removed most of Root’s original iron ornamentation and simplified it with geometric designs. He also encased much of Root's elaborate wrought iron finishes with white carved and gilded Carrara marble. He simplified the ironwork design, added large prairie styled urns and designed hanging light fixtures. Stamped on verso: "July, 1972." Clipping pasted to verso: "Photographer: Gene Pesek. Date: 7-5-72. Location: Rookery Building, 209 So LaSalle. Subject: Named city landmark. Caption: Wrought iron and marble make up the lobby of the famous Rookery Building." Acquired from the archives of the Chicago Sun Times.

Size: Original 8.2 x 12 B&W photograph.

S#: 1909.41.0512

   
Date: 1975

Title: View of lobby and balcony.

Description: Rookery Building Entryway and Lobby Remodeling (1905 - S.113) 1975. The Rookery building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. Wright removed most of Root’s original iron ornamentation and simplified it with geometric designs. He also encased much of Root's elaborate wrought iron finishes with white carved and gilded Carrara marble. He simplified the ironwork design, added large prairie styled urns and designed hanging light fixtures. Label pasted to verso: "Photographer: Pete Peters. Date: 1/15/75.Caption: Over-all pix of the renovated Rookery." Stamped on verso: "Sun Times Jan 18 1975". Clipping pasted to verso: "Wright On. Interior of the Rookery Building, 209 S. La Salle, where Continental Bank has opened personal banking and international services facilities. Commission on Chicago Historical and Architectural Landmarks honored Continental for its "‘sensitive renovation work’ on the first floor of the building, designed in 1886 by Burnham & Root. Frank Lloyd Wright remodeled the central court of the Rookery in 1905." Acquired from the archives of the Chicago Sun Times.

Size: Original 8 x 10 B&W photograph.

S#: 1996.17.0512

   
Date: 1990

Title: View of exterior of the Skylight.

Description: Rookery Building Entryway and Lobby Remodeling (1905 - S.113) 1990. The Rookery building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. Wright removed most of Root’s original iron ornamentation and simplified it with geometric designs. He also encased much of Root's elaborate wrought iron finishes with white carved and gilded Carrara marble. He simplified the ironwork design, added large prairie styled urns and designed hanging light fixtures. Stamped on verso: "Sun Nov 4 1990, Tue May 4 1993". Clipping pasted to verso: "Revival of the Rookery. Workers remove tar and paint from the Rookery Building’s skylight as restoration of the landmark continues. For five years, the 1888 Rookery has sat vacant at 209 S. La Salle. But the sleeping beauty will awaken after the $80 million rehab project. Sun Times / Rich Hein." Acquired from the archives of the Chicago Sun Times.

Size: Original 10 x 8 Color photograph.

ST#: 1990.95.0512

   
Date: 1993

Title: Rookery Building Entryway and Lobby Remodeling 1993 (1905 - S.113).

Description: View of lobby, staircase and balcony. The Rookery building was designed by Burnham and Root in 1888. Edward C. Waller, a client of Frank Lloyd Wright’s, managed the Rookery Building in 1905 and retained Wright in 1905 to remodel the Entryway and Lobby. Wright’s offices were located in the building from 1898-1899. Wright removed most of Root’s original iron ornamentation and simplified it with geometric designs. He also encased much of Root's elaborate wrought iron finishes with white carved and gilded Carrara marble. He simplified the ironwork design, added large prairie styled urns and designed hanging light fixtures. Clipping pasted to verso: "A staircase in the atrium of The Rookery Building is one of the features one sees on a tour of architecturally significant buildings in Chicago. Journal photo by Ned Vespa." Stamped on verso: "93 Sep 16." Photographed by Ned Vespa.

Size: Original 7.5 x 9.25 B&W photograph.

ST#:
1993.91.1218
   
Date: 2003

Title: The Rookery. A Building Book from the Chicago Architecture Foundation (Published by Pomegranate Communications, Inc., Rohnert Park, CA, with the Chicago Architecture Foundation)

Author: Pridmore, Jay

Description: Frank Lloyd Wright remodeled the Rookery Building Entryway and Lobby in 1905 (S.113). Praised in 1888 as the largest and finest office building in the country--all eleven stories--The Rookery featured both masonry load-bearing walls and skeletal frame construction. Architect John Wellborn Root lavished exquisite care on The Rookery, built on the site of the former City Hall and named after its dirty pigeons and corrupt politicians. Frank Lloyd Wright modernized The Rookery in 1905, changing the light fixtures and covering old dark iron surfaces with incised Carrara marble. Today The Rookery stands as a first-class office building. Photographs by Hedrich Blessing. (Publisher’s description.) Original list price $12.95. (First Edition)

Size: 5.5 x 6.6.

Pages: Pp 63

ST#: 2003.43.0912

   
   
   

HOME   ARTIFACTS   AUDIO   BOOKS   PERIODICALS   PHOTOS   POSTCARDS   POSTERS   STAMPS   STUDIES   ASSISTING   ABOUT   SEARCH

To donate or pass on information, comments or questions:
info@wrightlibrary.com
©Copyright 2001, 2019